This classic from the island is one of the dishes most desired by foodies – if your food Instagram feed doesn’t feature it, it’s not worth a thing. Lobster with fried eggs and potatoes is a ménage à trois on a plate – three ingredients that all match together perfectly. A cornerstone of the Ibizan recipe book, it’s a true ‘guilty pleasure’ that has travelled beyond the island and can now be found in restaurants in Madrid, Barcelona and Málaga.
Where did it come from? Jordi Cardona of Sa Caleta restaurant be- lieves its origins are “100% maritime”. In the original version, the lobster was sautéed in chopped garlic. The addition of the egg, according to Cardona, comes “from the idea of using the sauce once the lobster was finished.” The result is an iconic recipe that is also very easy to make.
Make it yourself – step by step
- Cut up two heads of garlic and sauté them in a frying pan with olive oil. Make sure the oil doesn’t get too hot.
- Cut the lobster into pieces and fry in the same oil, stirring continuously.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan fry the chopped potatoes in olive oil.
- Remove the lobster when it is ready and fry the eggs in the same oil.
- Put the lobster together with the eggs and potatoes on a large dish. Enjoy!