Ten activities to do in Formentera. Ten activities in paradise! Rent a zodiac, tour the island by bike, have a picnic at Ses Platgetes, have breakfast at Café Matinal, swim to Sa Guardiola Tower, hug the largest tree on the island, taste the best lobster, tour the island on horseback And don’t forget to have a drink at the local beach kiosks! Everything is possible on this paradisiacal island next to Ibiza.
1. You don’t need a licence to hire a Zodiac boat from Centro Nautico – the ocean is your oyster in one of its 230hp vessels.
2. The island has more than 30 routes to hike, run or cycle but we love the Camí de sa Pujada walk, which starts at the village of Es Caló and passes by vineyards, boatyards and the best panoramic views on the way to La Mola.
4. Grab a bottle of wine and a blanket and head out stargazing at Ses Platgetes. It’s awe-inspiring.
5. Check out the amazing breakfast, home-made bread and jam at Café Matinal in Sant Francesc – 25 years of successful service cannot be wrong!
6. Swim across the sandbank to S’Espalmador to discover La Torre de Sa Guardiola, the original 18th-century watchtower that protected Formentera from bandits.
7. Go and hug the biggest fig tree on the island, Na Blanca d’en Mestre, which has a circumference of three metres!
8. Push the boat out for dinner at Es Còdol Foradat and try its Trilogía de Langosta. It’s the best lobster!
9. Ride a horse into the sea with the guys at Rutas Es Boixets for an experience you’ll always remember.
10. Support the local beach kiosks before they are bought out by foreign investors!