We all know of Ibiza as the island of music, clubbing and dancing, but did you know that the magical white isle has an equally large holistic health and wellbeing offering? One aspect of this is the growing detox and liver cleansing offerings on the island, to help with that ‘detox retox’ phenomena 😉
Mays Al-Ali moved to the island nearly two years ago as a registered nutritionist, yoga teacher and retreat leader & hosts both in person Ibiza detox retreats and online group liver cleanses involving fasting, colonics and green veggie juices.
“The liver is the body’s natural detoxifier, cleansing the body of toxins and producing bile to support healthy digestion” says Mays. “A healthy liver can detoxify almost everything that a person encounters. However environmental pollution, heavy metal toxicity, chemicals in our food/water (& anything else we may ingest 😉 may all put pressure on your livers functions.
Signs that your liver could do with some help could be abdominal bloating, excessive fatigue, skin breakouts, inability to lose weight, acid reflux/heartburn, trouble digesting fatty food & overheating of the body/excessive perspiration. Unfortunately there are a lot of fad liver detox diets out there and many are not based on scientific research.
Here are my simple tips to support your liver:
- Eat more clean organic plant based foods.
- Reduce processed farmed meat/fish, sugar & caffeine.
- Drink lots of filtered water, green veggie juice & less alcohol/sugary drinks.
- Certain supplements like N-Acetyl Cysteine, Milk Thistle & turmeric are great for general liver support (NB. Always talk to a qualified nutritionist to check if suitable for you to supplement).
- Get your sweat on – regular steam rooms/saunas & sweaty workouts all help detoxify the body as sweating releases unwanted toxins through our skin.
- And finally I’m a big fan of colon cleansing especially using coffee enemas or coffee colonics.
Mays’s next group online detox is happening in September, more details in www.healthymays.com/onlinedetoxretreat or if you’d like to book a bespoke detox for you or for a group get in touch with Mays to find out more.